We recently sent out a survey to all Orpheus students asking them what they thought of a proposal to keep lesson times the same during the summer while offering 4 makeup vouchers. The response was overwhelmingly positive (over 90%) so we will definitely be moving ahead with this plan. Please know that we will still be taking input, working with each family to find solutions and encourage all of you to fill out the survey. Here is the plan in greater detail:
Students will keep their lesson times (and lengths) year-round.
Students will each receive 4 vouchers for makeups during the summer so that they could plan vacations.
During the summer months group classes will be substituted with Summer Camps.
We will be adding additional composition and performance based camps like Chamber Music.
Benefits of this new program include:
1) No more registration process! (If you ever need to change lesson times, just see the front desk – the process is the same year-round).
2) Musicianship students receive an additional six hours of group instruction during the summer at no additional charge (camps are 15 hours each, 3 months of Musicianship would be 9 hours of instruction time).
3) Your schedule is simple and easy to remember.
4) Your lesson length is consistent throughout the year (unless you decide to change it, like always).
Here is some of the feedback we have gotten from the survey:
“Happy to see more performance camps. Mixed feelings about year round lessons. I know my daughter looks forward to a break in the summer.”
– With the 4 makeup vouchers you can schedule an entire month of break that fits your schedule rather than our intensives.
“For lesson time, it would be best to be able to reserve your school year time even if you need a different time in the summer.”
– Unfortunately, that would mean asking the teacher to hold a spot open, which would mean they could not earn any income during that time. You are free to switch to a different time, but you would be taking a risk of losing your school-year lesson time. This is analogous to when students need a different time due to a conflict with sports: Often students need a different lesson time for three months, but we cannot ask the teacher to hold two spots for one student.
“It may be difficult to keep the same lesson time given that the child may be involved in a camp that ends later than the child’s scheduled lesson time.”
– This is another benefit of the Lesson Voucher.
“Definitely simpler, less work. If the lesson is at the same time as an Orpheus camp, would you need to use a voucher to reschedule?”
– Most of our camps will be in the morning, but if you take an afternoon camp and it conflicts with your lesson we will work out the schedule with you for that week.
“Love the idea of keeping weekly lesson schedule, while allowing for makeups due to vacations. Biggest question would be availability of makeup times. I also like the idea of musicianship hours as counting as a credit towards camp (if I understand it correctly). I would LOVE it if there was optional lunch coverage for some of your camps since I work.”
– We believe if everyone cancels the lessons they plan to miss first, that will open up more times for reschedules. In addition, some people (obviously not those who work full time) may be able to make up some lessons at earlier than traditional times since some kids are home during the day. We will have “lunch coverage”, though students will need to bring their own lunch.
Thank you so much to everyone who gave their feedback to help us make Orpheus the best school it can be.
WE APPRECIATE YOU!