A Joyful Approach to Excellence
It is the mission of Orpheus Academy of Music to provide the highest quality musical instruction to people of all ages and musical ability. We believe that exceptional music instruction includes the finest individual music mentoring, diverse opportunities for intellectual discovery and creative expression as well as many forms of group learning and performing. We further believe that by engaging in a wide variety of quality musical experiences both individually and in groups, students will develop a deep, life-enriching commitment to music making.
Goals for Music Learning
Our teaching philosophy can be described in four major goals we wish our students to achieve.
Orpheus Academy's Teaching Philosophy
We believe the following:
- Opportunities for innovation, experimentation, and collaboration toward evolving and clearly stated musical goals are essential to teaching excellence.
- What students are helped to discover for themselves is most memorable. If students seem confused it is not because they are stupid, it is because we have not found an effective presentation of the material.
- If students meet with success at each small step, they will thirst for more learning. In-depth learning of music involves every human faculty: Physical, mental, creative, playful, emotional, social and much more.
- Four fundamental aspects of learning must be nurtured in the following order of priority: 1) Desire 2) Aptitude 3) Skill 4) Artistry
- We must always attend to the first things first, only approaching the higher levels of learning when the fundamental necessities are in place.